リノベーションデス下
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

リノベーションデス下

A day will come when they will realize I was right
~Adolf Hitler~

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Guide to Creating Lore

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Irishkaiser
Greatest Ally
Greatest Ally
Irishkaiser

Guide to Creating Lore Empty
PostSubject: Guide to Creating Lore   Guide to Creating Lore EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 11:05 pm

Some of you here aren't probably very good with making stories or aren't really experienced in it. Heck, some of you will probably are enthusiastic but will probably write half-assed shit with the most awkward names. This is a guide created to help create lore within the context of the World of Civilization.

Relations and Connections
Everything and everyone historically important in the world must be related to the Sovereign Grant of Civilization, for - we are living in the period after its decline and collapse. Do not take Civilization as nothing more than an empire, for it was a dynamic culture and force that influenced and practically governed the known world. Civilization's history is currently devoid, so if your faction or state has any history with it, make a draft and we'll edit it until it fits! The world has so much potential being vacant.

You must realize that we're consistent in our dating system in which we use EE or (Enlightenment Era) based around the completion of the monument of MoOp. By 150EE+, Civilization is a superior party among all the states and you will treat it as such in your writings. If your faction's story is hostile to Civilization's supremacy then just make sure it treads carefully on practical diplomacy.

Civilization maybe a superpower but it's still a state and it all has the problems of the state, but remember to treat the Sovereign Grant with acknowledgment of its status at the time.

Culture and Principles

The way of life of your faction must be believable and consistent. Settlements by the sea? Make it cherish the sea and make water-activities like sea trade, navies and fishing bear cultural value to your nations. Built on green pastures? Farming and or maybe riding horses is your signature cultural practice. Living within taiga-arctic temperatures? WINTER IS COMING. Where you live, affects how you live.

If you come up with names, make sure it's consistent in its distribution of consonants and vowels. The cheap and half-assed way is to use a set a number of syllables. Popular Civilized names back then were short and usually involved two or three syllables at best in each part of the name; one or two syllables for the last name.

Funny how our usernames involved mostly two syllables: "Kaiser, Avver, Vergath, Yorty, Dragon, Marko(or Joni)." we had some exceptions but of course it's always covered by the fact that Civilization was multicultural and was pretty much like an Imperial Roman cultural melting pot.

Accent and the way of speaking should also be considered. Are they fancy? Down to earth? Do they prefer power or grace? Maybe they're hardy or have fine luxurious taste? It's up to you.

Your building style and architecture must also conform to this. It's very important because it reflects on the culture of your nation. Simple or rich? Any symbols worth noting like curved roof or whatever? It's up to you.

Believable and Credible Content
Build up on clues and evidence from already published and accepted works and give detail to everything. Think of human reactions and emotions as to when the scene arises. Don't make it cheesy and irrational though(concerning Zolen's autistic prince Holic who got sudden violent hatred against his mother with little to no evidence).

The best and most authentic way is to feel and experience what the characters go through in thought experiments. Don't be afraid to observe and see how things unfold in everyday life. Though, sometimes you could get it through less conventional methods like say... Dreams..?

I have never felt romantic jealousy in my waking life. But I know how it feels. This is how I knew: Months ago, I dreamed of me watching a movie inside a theater. It was nothing special, the movie was even one of the old black and white movies. Suddenly, a young couple sat in front of me. For some reason, I knew who they were but they didn't notice me and then suddenly I knew I was in love with the woman in front of me. Oh, that loathsome feeling.

Seeing her there, in the arms of another... Apparently, the plot was kinda like this song:

My heart DID SINK and that disgusting feeling of jealous self-pity that makes you feel like someone's reached into your chest, plucked out your heart and threw it to the HOUNDS AS A CHEW TOY. An incredible emotion that was suddenly new to me and overwhelmed me but I understood finally what people meant when they said that and I knew without experiencing it.

So go ahead right now and do some thought or dream experiments! Just don't get suicidal.

Last edited by Spyware on Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://minezus10.forumotion.com
Zolen
Citizen
Zolen

PostSubject: Re: Guide to Creating Lore   Guide to Creating Lore EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 11:58 pm

You did not hear me say I was mumbling a idea, that event is not correct or fully thought out, and you ignored when I pmed the proper thing and decided to post the mumbling I had.
Back to top Go down
Irishkaiser
Greatest Ally
Greatest Ally
Irishkaiser

PostSubject: Re: Guide to Creating Lore   Guide to Creating Lore EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 5:56 pm

Sometimes, Zolen... Sometimes... I don't get you.
Back to top Go down
Zolen
Citizen
Zolen

PostSubject: Re: Guide to Creating Lore   Guide to Creating Lore EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 7:25 pm

You never mumble a idea out before actually writing the full thing down? Or ever bother to see anther persons opinion before you try like I attempted. (The ask for a opinion was what I was expecting, not for you to post it.)
Back to top Go down
Irishkaiser
Greatest Ally
Greatest Ally
Irishkaiser

PostSubject: Re: Guide to Creating Lore   Guide to Creating Lore EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 8:14 pm

Well, judging from how other users view your posts from time to time like on DQ, I don't think you can easily blame me. I posted it as a "draft" with the words -to be edited.(If you missed that.)
Back to top Go down
Zolen
Citizen
Zolen

PostSubject: Re: Guide to Creating Lore   Guide to Creating Lore EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 2:04 pm

I guess.....
Back to top Go down
Avver
Merp
Merp
Avver

PostSubject: Re: Guide to Creating Lore   Guide to Creating Lore EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 10:42 am

Maybe move this thread to the Lore section for convenience?
Back to top Go down
Irishkaiser
Greatest Ally
Greatest Ally
Irishkaiser

PostSubject: Re: Guide to Creating Lore   Guide to Creating Lore EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 1:31 pm

I'll make it a global announcement instead.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guide to Creating Lore   Guide to Creating Lore Empty

Back to top Go down

Guide to Creating Lore
Page 1 of 1